This course is available for both apprentices and non-apprentices. Learn with practical hands-on experience in our fully-equipped Hair Design Salon! Successful completion of the Certificate III in Hairdressing will give you the skills and knowledge you need to be employed as a hairdresser working as part of a team in a hairdressing environment. You will become competent in communicating in the workplace, consulting with clients, selling products and services, and designing and applying a broad range of technical hairdressing services on clients. You will possess a range of well-developed skills where discretion and judgement is required and be responsible for your own output.
To successfully complete the Certificate III in Hairdressing you must complete 21 core units and 7 electives (28 in total). Attendance is three days a week for 12 months (two semesters) providing you have obtained a Certificate II in Salon Assistant. This course can also act as a great pathway to further your qualification with a Certificate IV.
- Client consultation
- Shampoo and basin services
- Communicating with clients and team members
- Design and apply short to medium length hair design finishes
- Organisation of tools, equipment and work areas
- Design and apply haircut structures: graduated, over-comb, layered, one length and solid
- Colour and lightening hair, as well as full and partial
- Chemical curing, straightening, relaxing and volumising
- Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
SHBHBAS001 Provide shampoo and basin services
SHBHCLS002 Colour and lighten hair
SHBHCLS003 Provide full and partial head highlighting treatments
SHBHCLS004 Neutralise unwanted colours and tones
SHBHCLS005 Provide on scalp full head and retouch bleach treatments
SHBHCUT001 Design haircut structures
SHBHCUT002 Create one length or solid haircut structures
SHBHCUT003 Create graduated haircut structures
SHBHCUT004 Create layered haircut structures
SHBHCUT005 Cut hair using over-comb techniques
SHBHDES003 Create finished hair designs
SHBHIND001 Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas
SHBHIND003 Develop and expand a client base
SHBHREF002 Straighten and relax hair with chemical treatments
SHBHTRI001 Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
SHBXCCS001 Conduct salon financial transactions
SHBXCCS002 Provide salon services to clients
SHBXIND001 Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
SHBXIND002 Communicate as part of a salon team
SHBXWHS001 Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
SHBHCUT006 Create combined haircut structures
SHBHCUT007 Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures
SHBHDES004 Create classic long hair up-styles
SHBHCUT011 Design and maintain beards and moustaches
SHBHCUT012 Shave heads and faces
SHBXCCS004 Recommend products and services
SHBHDES002 Braid hair
Selectable units may apply.
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the course outcomes. A range of assessment strategies to meet different student’s needs will be selected, including theoretical and practical assessments, assessing your hair design and capabilities.
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF Qualification.
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
On campus (non-apprenticeship): 12 months . Apprenticeship: 3 years.
Starting February on campus.
Semester 2: Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays: 9am-5pm
Placement to be arranged by the student over the period of training.
Applicants must have completed Certificate II in Salon Assistant or equivalent. Applicants must also attend an interview prior to course entry.
- Once you submit an application for this course you will receive a separate email from LLN Robot to complete a Learning, Reading, Writing, Oral and Numeracy test online. Please check your junk mail if this does not come to your inbox.
- Please allow one hour to complete the LLN Robot assessment. You will need a computer with speakers or headphones as there is an audio section in the assessment.
- Your LLN Assessment will need to be completed one week after receiving it to progress your application to the next stage, or your application may be withdrawn due to inactivity.
- If you are unable to access the LLN Robot link please contact our Customer Experience team **as soon as possible.**
- Note: Completion of and passing the LLN Robot Assessment does not guarantee a place in the course at Wodonga TAFE. Numbers are limited and selected applicants will be contacted to attend an interview. If an applicant is not accepted into their preferred course they will be contacted and provided information on alternate pathways and/or courses.
Government Funded $6,930.00 (Tuition $6,480.00, Materials $450.00)
Concession $1,746.00 (Tuition $1,296.00, Materials $450.00)
Fee For Service $9,090.00 (Tuition $8,640.00, Materials $450.00)
Fees Additional Information
You will be required to purchase a kit - please contact us for further details.
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the 'Apply Now' tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
Materials Included In Fees
- Hairdressing kit, including uniform - $450
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply online now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, you can submit your enquiry via the online form below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact our friendly Customer Experience team on 1300 69 8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: We reserve the right to close course intakes early. Many courses have limited places and high demand. Early applications are recommended. We reserve the right to cancel intakes and courses if there are insufficient student numbers.
If you would like to become a ‘client’ of Wodonga TAFE Hairdressing please send an email to our department administration, EVS_Administration@wodongatafe.edu.au with the subject heading ‘client of Wodonga TAFE hairdressing.’
When You Can Enrol
Apply online now for the course commencing in February 2021.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: